Thì quá khứ đơn (Past simple tense) là một trong các thì đầu tiên các bạn phải tiếp cận khi bắt đầu học Tiếng Anh. Đây là một thì khá đơn giản nhưng không phải dễ dàng nếu bạn muốn sử dụng một cách thành thạo. Trong bài viết hôm nay, Anh ngữ UEC – địa chỉ học Tiếng anh uy tín tại Đà Nẵng chia sẻ đến các bạn trọn bộ bài tập thì quá khứ đơn (Past simple tense) từ cơ bản đến nâng cao, các bạn vận dụng thử nhé!
I. Tóm tắt lý thuyết thì quá khứ đơn
1. Công thức thì quá khứ đơn (Past simple tense)
|Thể||Động từ tobe||Động từ thường|
You/ we/ they + were + …
S + V2/ Ved + …
You/ we/ they + weren’t + …
S + did + NOT + Vbare_inf + …
Was/ Were (not) + S + …?
Did (not) + S + V(bare_inf) + …?
Wh + was/were (not) + S + …?
Wh + did (not) + S + V(bare_inf) + …?
2. Cách sử dụng thì quá khứ đơn (Past simple tense)
– Diễn tả một hành động, sự việc đã diễn ra tại một thời điểm cụ thể, hoặc một khoảng thời gian trong quá khứ và đã kết thúc hoàn toàn ở quá khứ.
- She came home late last night.
(Cô ấy về nhà muộn tối hôm qua.)
– Diễn tả một hành động lặp đi lặp lại trong quá khứ.
- When I was a child, I always enjoyed going to the zoo.
(Khi tôi còn nhỏ, tôi luôn thích thú khi đi thăm vườn bách thú.)
– Diễn đạt các hành động xảy ra liên tiếp trong quá khứ.
- After work, Angela came home, opened the door, turned on the light and took off her clothes.
(Sau giờ làm, Angela đã về nhà, mở cửa, bật đèn lên và cởi đồ.)
– Diễn đạt một hành động chen ngang vào hành động khác đang diễn ra trong quá khứ
- When Jane was studying, the lights suddenly went out.
(Khi Jane đang học bài thì đèn đột nhiên tắt.)
– Diễn đạt hành động không có thật ở hiện tại trong câu điều kiện loại II.
- If I were you, I wouldn’t do it.
(Nếu tôi là bạn, tôi sẽ không làm thế.)
– Dùng trong câu ước không có thật
- I wish I were in America now.
(Tôi ước gì bây giờ tôi ở Mỹ)
– Dùng trong một số cấu trúc: It’s + (high) time + S + Ved It + is + khoảng thời gian + since + thì quá khứ
- It is high time we started to learn English seriously.
(Đã đến lúc chúng ta phải bắt đầu học tiếng Anh nghiêm túc)
– Dùng để miêu tả một sự kiện lịch sử.
- The Chinese invented printing.
(Người Trung Quốc đã phát minh ra máy in)
– Khi hành động xảy ra một cách rõ ràng ở một thời điểm nhất định ngay cả khi thời điểm này không được đề cập đến.
- The train was ten minutes late.
(Xe lửa đã trễ mươi phút)
3. Dấu hiệu nhận biết thì quá khứ đơn
Trong câu có dấu hiệu nhận biết là các trạng từ chỉ thời gian trong quá khứ:
- last/ past/ the previous + N: last night, the previous day, the day before
- N + ago: an hour ago, 3 years ago
- in + N: in 2019, in the past
- Sau as if, as though (như thể là), it’s time (đã đến lúc), if only, wish (ước gì), would sooner/ rather (thích hơn)
Phân biệt thì Quá khứ đơn và Thì hiện tại hoàn thành: Tổng hợp các thì trong Tiếng Anh (P2) – Thì hiện tại hoàn thành
II. Bài tập thì quá khứ đơn cơ bản
Bài 1: Bài tập chia động từ thì quá khứ đơn
- I (eat)___________ dinner at six o’clock yesterday.
- A: ___________ Helen (drive)___________ to work? – B: Yes, she ___________.
- My neighbor (buy)___________ a new car last week.
- They (go)___________ to Italy on their last summer holiday.
- ___________ they (swim)___________ at the beach? – B: No, they __________.
- My family and I (see)___________ a comedy movie last night.
- First, we (do)___________ exercise, and then we (drink)___________ some water.
- Suddenly, the animal jumped and (bite)___________ my hand.
- What time (do)___________ you (get up)___________ this morning?
- The Wright brothers (fly)___________ the first airplane in 1903.
- I think I (hear)___________ a strange sound outside the door one minute ago.
- When I was ten years old, I (break)___________ my arm. It really (hurt) __________.
- The police (catch)___________ all three of the bank robbers last week.
- How many times (do)___________ you (read)___________ that book?
- Unfortunately, I (forget)___________ to (bring)___________ my money.
Bài 2: Chuyển những câu dưới đây từ hiện tại đơn sang quá khứ đơn
- He goes to the swimming pool because he likes swimming.
- They have dinner at nine o´clock.
- Helen eats too many sweets.
- I buy the newspaper in the shop.
- We get up at eight o´clock and go to school
- Does she buy the newspaper in the shop over there?
- Do they do their homework in the evening?
- Do they have a good holiday?
- Do they find any animal in the forest?
- Is it dark when she gets up in the morning?
Bài 3: Chia động từ trong ngoặc ở thì quá khứ đơn.
- She (spend) ____ all her money last week.
- Mum (not spend) ___________ any money on herself.
- I (lend) __________ my penknife to someone, but I can’t remember who it was now.
- John and his father (build) ___________ the cabin themselves last year.
- My parents (sell) ____________ the stereo at a garage sale.
- ___________You (tell) ___________ anyone about this yesterday?
- The unidentified plant (bear) ___________ gorgeous flowers.
- She (tear) ___________ the letter to pieces and threw it in the bin.
- He often (wear) ___________ glasses for reading.
- Before God He (swear) ___________ he was innocent
- Yesterday Clouds (creep) ___________ across the horizon, just above the line of trees.
- We both (sleep) ___________ badly that night.
- She (weep) ___________ for the loss of her mother.
- Jane (keep) ___________ the engine running.
- A huge wave (sweep) ___________ over the deck
- Mum (pay) ___________ for my driving lessons.
- He (lay) ___________ his hand on my shoulder.
- He (break) ___________ the biscuit in half and handed one piece to me.
- He (choose) ___________ his words carefully as he (speak) ___________.
- He …………………to the zoo last Sunday (go)
- She (not/ watch)………………………………TV last night
- They (meet)…………………………their friends at the movie theater last week
- What……………you (do)…………………last night
- ……………………… they (buy)…………………a new car two days ago?
- We ………….. (have) a lot of homework yesterday.
Bài 4: Chia động từ ở thì quá khứ đơn
- It was warm, so I took off my coat. (take).
- The film wasn’t very goor. I didn’t enjoy it very much. (enjoy)
- I knew Sarah was very busy, so I ….. her (disturb)
- I was very tired, so I ….. the party early. (leave)
- The bed was very uncomfortable. I ….. very well (sleep)
- The window was open and a bird ….. into the room (fly)
- The hotel wasn’t very expensive. It ….. very much (cost)
- I was in a hurry, so I ….. time to phone you (have).
- It was hard carrying the bags. They ….. very heavy. (be)
Bài 5: Bài tập về thì quá khứ – Đọc những gì Laure nói về một ngày làm việc điển hình.
Laure: I usually get up at 7 o’clock and have a big breakfast. I walk to work, which takes me about an hour. I start work at 8:45. I never have lunch. I finish work at 5 o’clock. I’m always tired when I get home. I usually cook a meal in the evening. I don’t usually go out, I go to bed at about 11 o’clock and I always sleep well.
Yesterday was a typical working day for Laura. Write what she did or didn’t do yesterday.
Example: She got up at 7 o’clock
- She ….. a big breakfast.
- She …..
- It ….. to get to work.
- ….. at 8:45.
- ….. lunch.
- ….. at 5 o’ clock.
- ….. tired when ….. home.
- ….. a meal yesterday evening.
- ….. out yesterday evening.
- ….. at 11 o’ clock
- ….. well last night.
Đáp án bài tập thì quá khứ đơn cơ bản
- Did / drive / did
- Did / swim / didn’t
- did / drank
- did / get up
- broke / hurt
- did / read
- forgot / bring
- He went to the swimming pool because he liked swimming.
- They had dinner at nine o´clock.
- Helen ate too many sweets.
- I bought the newspaper in the shop.
- We got up at eight o´clock and went to school.
- Did she buy the newspaper in the shop over there?
- Did they do their homework in the evening?
- Did they have a good holiday?
- Did they find any animal in the forest?
- Was it dark when she got up in the morning?
1 – spent
2 – didn’t spend
3 – lent
4 – built
5 – sold
6 – Did … tell
7 – bore
8 – torn
9 – worn
10 – swore
11 – crept
12 – slept
13 – wept
14 – kept
15 – swept
16 – paid
17 – laid
18 – broke
19 – chosen
20 – went
21 – didn’t watch
22 – met
23 – did … do
24 – Did … buy
25 – had
3. didn’t disturb 4. left 5. didn’t sleep 6. flew 7. didn’t cost 8. didn’t have 9. were
- she walked to work
- It took her half an hour
- She starts work
- she didn’t have any lunch
- she finished work
- she was tired when she got home
- she cooked
- she didn’t go
- she went to bed
- she slept
III. Bài tập thì quá khứ đơn nâng cao
Tiếp theo sau đây, Anh ngữ UEC gửi đến các bạn bài tập thì quá khứ đơn dạng nâng cao. Trước khi bước qua phần này, hãy đảm bảo rằng bạn đã nhuần nhuyễn các bài tập thì quá khứ đơn cơ bản nhé!
Bài 1: Bài tập chia động từ quá khứ đơn
On Friday, the children ___ (talk) about a day out together in the country. The next morning, they ___ (go) to the country with their two dogs and ___ (play) together. Ben and Dave ___ (have) some kites. Some time later the dogs (be) not there. So they ___ (call) them and ____ (look) for them in the forest. After half an hour the children ____ (find) them and ___ (take) them back. Charlie ___ (be) very happy to see them again. At lunch time Nick ___ (go) to the bikes and ___ (fetch) the basket with some meat sandwiches. Then they ___ (play) football. Nick and Dave ____ (win). In the evening they ___ (ride) home.
Bài 2: Chuyển những câu sau sang câu phủ định và nghi vấn
- Nam wrote an essay in Literature class this morning.
- I watched TV yesterday morning.
- Nam and you were in the English club last Tuesday
- They ate noodles two hours ago.
- We always had a nice time on Christmas holiday in the past.
- My father decorated the Christmas tree.
- She bought a new dress yesterday.
- They were late for school.
- Mr. Tam took his children to the museum last Sunday.
- Hoa made a cushion for her armchair.
Bài 3: Bài tập viết lại câu thì quá khứ đơn
- It/ be/ cloudy/ yesterday.
- In 1990/ we/ move/ to another city.
- When/ you/ get/ the first gift?
- She/ not/ go/ to the church/ five days ago.
- How/ be/ he/ yesterday?
- and Mrs. James/ come back home/ and/ have/ lunch/ late/ last night?
- They/ happy/ last holiday?
- How/ you/ get there?
- I/ play/ football/ last/ Sunday.
- My/ mother/ make/ two/ cake/ four/ day/ ago.
- Tyler/ visit/ his/ grandmother/ last/ month.
- Joni/ go/ zoo/ five/ day/ ago.
- We/ have/ fun/ yesterday.
- My/ father/ not/ at the office/ the day/ before yesterday.
Bài 4: Lựa chọn và điền dạng đúng của từ
teach cook want spend ring
be sleep study go write
- She ….. out with her boyfriend last night.
- Laura ….. a meal yesterday afternoon.
- Mozart ….. more than 600 pieces of music.
- I ….. tired when I came home.
- The bed was very comfortable so they ….. very well.
- Jamie passed the exam because he ….. very hard.
- My father ….. the teenagers to drive when he was alive.
- Dave ….. to make a fire but there was no wood.
- The little boy ….. hours in his room making his toys.
- The telephone ….. several times and then stopped before I could answer it.
Bài 5: Chia động từ trong ngoặc ở thì quá khứ đơn để hoàn thành câu chuyện về Bạch Tuyết
Snow White was the daughter of a beautiful queen, who died when the girl (be)1 …… young. Her father (marry)2………….again, but the girl’s stepmother was very jealous of her because she was so beautiful.
The evil queen (order)3…………. a hunter to kill Snow White but he couldn’t do it because she was so lovely. He (chase)4………….her away instead, and she (take)5…………. refuge with seven dwarfs in their house in the forest. She (live)6………….with the dwarfs and took care of them and they (love)7………….her dearly.
Then one day the talking mirror (tell)8………….the evil queen that Snow White was still alive. She (change)9………….herself into a witch and (make)10………….a poisoned apple. She (go)11…………. to the dwarfs’ house disguised as an old woman and tempted Snow White to eat the poisoned apple, which (put)12………….her into an everlasting sleep.
Finally, a prince (find)13………….her in the glass coffin where the dwarfs had put her and woke her up with a kiss. Snow White and the prince (be)14………….married and lived happily ever after.
Đáp án bài tập thì quá khứ đơn nâng cao
- Nam didn’t write an essay in Literature class this morning. – Did Nam write an essay in Literature class this morning?
- I didn’t watch TV yesterday morning. – Did I watch TV yesterday morning?
- Nam and you were not in the English club last Tuesday – Were Nam and you in the English club last Tuesday?
- They didn’t eat noodles two hours ago. – Did they eat noodles two hours ago?
- We always didn’t have a nice time on Christmas holiday in the past. – Did we always have a nice time on Christmas holiday in the past?
- My father didn’t decorate the Christmas tree. – Did my father decorate the Christmas tree?
- She didn’t buy a new dress yesterday. – Did she buy a new dress yesterday?
- They were not late for school. – Were they late for school?
- Mr.Tam didn’t take his children to the museum last Sunday. – Did Mr.Tam take his children to the museum last Sunday?
- Hoa didn’t make a cushion for her armchair. – Did Hoa make a cushion for her armchair?
- It was cloudy yesterday.
- In 1990, we moved to another city./ We moved to another city in 1990.
- When did you get the first gift?
- She did not go to the church five days ago./ She didn’t go to the church five days ago.
- How was he yesterday?
- Did Mr. and Mrs. James come back home and have lunch late last night?
- Were they happy last holiday?
- How did you get there?
- I played football last Sunday.
- My mother made two cakes four days ago.
- Tyler visited his grandmother last month.
- Joni went to the zoo five days ago.
- We had fun yesterday.
- My father was not at the office the day before yesterday./ My father wasn’t at the office the day before yesterday.
- was tired
|Câu||Đáp án||Từ vựng|
Pass away: Qua đời (trang trọng hơn die)
King /kɪŋ/ (n): Vua
Queen /kwiːn/ (n): Nữ hoàng
Prince /prɪns/ (n): Hoàng tử
Princess /ˌprɪnˈses/ (n): Công chúa
Crown /kraun/ (n): Vương miện; ngôi vua
Throne / θroun/ (n): ngai vàng, ngôi vua
|3||ordered||Murder = Kill: Giết hại|
|4||chased||Take refuge (with somebody) in something: Trốn (với ai) vào đâu đó|
|5||Took||Dwarf /dwɔːf/ (n): Chú lùn|
Evil /’i:vl/ (n) (adj): xấu xa, việc xấu hoặc điều ác
Devil /’devl / (n): ma quỷ
|14||were||Live happily ever after (thành ngữ): Sống hạnh phúc mãi mãi về sau = Trăm năm hạnh phúc|