Chủ đề Spending & Saving money xuất hiện khá phổ biến không chỉ trong các bài IELTS Writing mà còn là một chủ đề thường xuyên xuất hiện trong phần IELTS Speaking. Sau đây, hãy cùng Anh ngữ UEC – địa chỉ học luyện thi IELTS uy tín tại Đà Nẵng điểm qua những từ vựng cần thiết cho chủ đề này nhé.
I. Từ vựng IELTS chủ đề SPENDING & SAVING MONEY
1. To earn (v): kiếm tiền
– Meaning: to receive money for work that you do
→ to earn a living: kiếm sống
- He deservedly earned the admiration of his colleagues.
- Everyone should have the means to earn their own living.
2. Finance (n): tài chính
– Meaning: a supply of money
- She struggled to get the necessary finance for her training.
- The banking and finance sector was booming.
- Our family finances are not very healthy at the moment.
3. Financial (adj): thuộc về tài chính
– financial stability/ financial sustainability/ financial viability: likelihood of continued success – ổn định tài chính
- The safety of the banking system is fundamental to long-term financial stability.
– financial burden/ financial difficulties/ financial hardship: gánh nặng tài chính
- Is there anything I can do to safeguard against this type of financial hardship?
– financial aid/ financial assistance/ financial support: hỗ trợ tài chính
- There are two ways the College can provide direct financial assistance for students.
– financial independence: tự chủ tài chính
- The more education, financial independence, and political power women have, the more they influence society.
4. Income (n): thu nhập
– Meaning: Money that someone gets from working or from investing money
- Every company must keep control of its income and expenditure.
- They hope that the lottery will provide additional income for charities.
- He has a large private income on top of what he earns as a teacher.
– above-average/ high/ large/ sufficient/ average/ steady/ annual + income
5. Cost (n/v): có giá/ đáng giá (bao nhiêu)
– Meaning: The amount of money that is needed in order to buy, pay for, or do something
- You will have to bear the full cost of the building work.
- Money could be saved by reducing, reusing and recycling waste because that does not incur the cost of landfill tax.
- Competition will drive the price down near to the marginal cost.
6. Pay (v): trả tiền
– Meaning: To give money in order to buy something
- Women are eligible for 18 weeks maternity leave on full pay.
- The job offers good rates of pay and excellent conditions.
7. Savings (n): tiền tiết kiệm
– Meaning: The money that you have saved
- I don’t have a strong view as to how you should diversify your savings.
– big, considerable, great, major, significant, substantial | estimated, expected, possible, potential + savings
- The potential savings are enormous.
8. Expenditure (n): Khoản chi tiêu
– Meaning: Money spent by a government, organization, or person
- Expenditure should ideally not exceed income.
– Annual expenditure, gross expenditure, total expenditure: tổng chi tiêu
- Gross expenditure of the company increased by 8 per cent in the last financial year.
– by a particular group: consumer, government, household + expenditure
- Reductions in tax often lead to increases in household expenditure.
9. Spend (v): chi tiền, dùng tiền
– Meaning: To use money to pay for things
→ To overspend: to spend more money than you should or more than you intended to – Chi tiêu quá mức
- We’re spending a lot more on clothes than we used to.
– money well spent: tiêu tiền xứng đáng
– in a sensible way: wisely
- Try to be objective if you want to spend your money wisely.
– in large amounts: freely, heavily
- The company spends heavily on marketing and promotion.
10. Manage (v): quản lý
→ Money management: Quản lý tài chính;
- If you have a flair for saving, managing and investing money, you have money management skills.
II. Idioms chủ đề SPENDING & SAVING MONEY
1. Saving money for a rainy day (idiom): Dành dụm tiền cho những ngày khó khăn
– Meaning: keeping money for the future, or saving for an emergency
2. Money doesn’t grow on trees (idiom): Tiền không dễ kiếm được
– Meaning: money is not easy to earn
3. Tighten one’s belt (idiom): – thắt lưng buộc bụng
– Meaning: to spend less than usual in order to save money
4. Money talks (idiom): đồng tiền lên tiếng → nhấn mạnh sức thuyết phục, quyền lực to lớn của đồng tiền
– Meaning: This is a modern expression which means that money is powerful, or that money makes things happen.
5. Cost an arm and a leg (idiom): Tốn rất nhiều tiền
– Meaning: cost a lot of money
6. Spend money like water (idiom): Tiêu tiền như nước
– Meaning: to spend money freely as if it were in endless supply
7. Make ends meet (idiom): Kiếm đủ sống
– Meaning: your income/ salary is just about enough to cover your expenditure
8. To run into debts (idiom): Nợ nần chồng chất;
– Meaning: to be in a position of owing money to someone or something (such as a bank or other lending institution)
9. To make a fortune (idiom): Kiếm cả gia tài, kiếm cả mớ tiền
– Meaning: To earn a very large amount of money, especially by doing something very successfully
Hy vọng những chia sẽ về Từ vựng IELTS chủ đề SPENDING & SAVING MONEY ở trên sẽ cung cấp thêm vốn từ vựng cho bạn trong quá trình luyện thi IELTS. Chúc các bạn ôn luyện và thi tốt, đạt điểm cao nhé!